A suicide blast near a Balochistan Constabulary truck in Quetta’s Baleli area on Wednesday left three individuals dead, including one policeman.
The banned militant outfit Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has claimed responsibility for the attack. The development comes two days after the terror group ended its ongoing ceasefire with Pakistan and ordered its supporters to carry out a fresh wave of attacks in the country.
According to Quetta Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIGP) Ghulam Azfar Mahesar, at least 23 other individuals sustained injuries as a result of the attack. This included 20 civillians and three policemen. AFP later confirmed that the deceased individuals included one woman and a child as well.
While speaking to the media, the DIGP revealed that at least three vehicles were hit as a result of the blast, including a Suzuki Mehran, a Toyota Corolla and the police truck. “The explosion took place near the police truck and due to the blast impact, the vehicle — which was on its way to provide security to police workers — fell into a nearby ditch,” he said.
“Looking at the crime scene and given that the truck toppled, it is estimated that 25 kilograms of explosives were used in the blast,” Mahesar revealed. He said that the injured had been taken to the Civil Hospital Quetta.