Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah has admitted that the old policy to rehabilitate the terrorists of the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has been proven unproductive.
The minister expressed these views after the banned TTP accepted responsibility for the Peshawar mosque attack that left at least 83 dead and 150 others wounded on Monday.
Sanaullah said that it was wrong perception to think that negotiations with the outlawed TTP would be brought it under the law of Pakistan. He also said that it was a mistake to believe that the TTP was separate from the Afghan Taliban.
The minister further said that the banned TTP militants have safe havens in a neighboring country from where they plan terror activities.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Caretaker Chief Minister Muhammad Azam Khan has announced a day of mourning in the province today (Tuesday) following the shocking attack.
Read also: Updated: Suicide Bomber Kills 83, Injures 170 In Peshawar Mosque
Eighty-three embraced martyrdom, while over 170 people were injured when a suicide bomber exploded him up in a mosque situated near Peshawar’s Police Lines area on Monday.
According to sources, the suicide attacker was present in the front row during Zohr prayers when he exploded himself, injuring dozens of faithful.
The injured are being treated at the Lady Reading Hospital of Peshawar.
Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah has said that target of the suicide bomber was police officials. He also said that actions were being taken at every level against the terrorists.
He further said that the attack cannot be termed as security failure, adding that Police are fighting against terrorism with full commitment.
As per sources, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has decided to visit Peshawar to preside a meeting aimed at ensuring peace. It is also expected that the premier will visit the Lady Reading Hospital to inquire the health of injured.
Mohammad Asim, the spokesperson of the Lady Reading Hospital (LRC), said that 70 injured persons were brought to the facility, adding that some of them were in critical condition while most were stable.
Asim also added that the LRH had been completely cordoned off, and only ambulances are being allowed to enter the premises.
Police official Sikandar Khan said that a portion of the mosque had collapsed, and several people were believed to be buried alive under the rubble.
Health Department has announced medical emergency in district Peshawar. All the doctors and paramedical staff in the government health facilities are directed to remain on red alert to cope with the emergencies.
Meanwhile, former president Asif Ali Zardari has condemned the suicide attack on Peshawar mosque and expressed concern over new wave of terrorism in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
The former president urged the government to destroy nurseries of terrorist by implementing National Action Plan. He said that rise in the terror attacks just before the elections is a matter of concern.
Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has also condemned the suicide attack on Peshawar mosque and vowed that strict action would be taken against the terrorists and their facilitators.
He said that implementation of NAP is the only solution to get rid of terrorism. He urged the Pakistan People’s Party workers to donate blood to save the lives of injured.
On the other hand, former prime minister Imran Khan has condemned the terrorist attack and asked the authorities concerned to improve the intelligence gathering and equip police forces to combat terrorism.