A huge controversy is raging these days in India over the action film ‘Pathan’ directed by Siddhartha Anand and starring Shah Rukh Khan, the protagonist ( who is appearing in a film after a gap of 4 years ) as a RAW agent, Deepika Padikone as a cop, John Abraham as a Russian agent, and others.
It is set to be released on January 23 2023, but there is already a fierce opposition to it by by both right wing Hindutva supporters as well as Muslim organisations all over India, who have called for its boycott and ban. Youtube and twitter are full of it.
The reactions have been varied and extreme:
- A major objection is to a song in which Deepika is shown as wearing a saffron coloured bikini ( saffron or bhagwa is regarded as a sacred Hindu colour)
- The star’s effigies have been burnt in Indore city
- There have been protests in Benaras and other places
- The Madhya Pradesh Home Minister has said that the film will not be allowed to be shown in MP unless some scenes are deleted
- The UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has also criticised the film
- The Vishwa Hindu Parishad, a Hindu organisation linked with the RSS has called some scenes in the film shameless
- A mahant of Ayodhya has called for burning cinema theatres showing the film
- Some people have called for boycott of Shah Rukh Khan’s movies