The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said on Friday a “regretful social media campaign” following the August 1 helicopter crash had left the armed forces rankled.
The military’s media wing said in a statement that the military and kin of those martyred had been left deeply anguished and distressed. “The nation is standing behind the institution in this difficult time. But certain insensitive quarters have resorted to hurtful and derogatory comments on social media which is unacceptable and highly condemnable,” the statement goes on to read.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Baloch Raaji Aajoi Sangar (BRAS), a coalition of Baloch separatists, claimed responsibility for downing the chopper. The BRAS, in a statement delivered to Reuters, claimed its fighters had targeted the copter with an anti-aircraft weapon.
However, a senior military functionary termed the claim pure bunkum. He said the helicopter had crashed due to inclement weather.
The wreckage of the helicopter was found near Musa Goth in the Lasbela district. All the six officers on board including Commander XII Corps Lieutenant General Sarfaraz Ali embraced shahadat (martyrdom). Those martyred include Lt Gen Sarfaraz Ali, Brigadier Amjad Hanif, Brigadier Muhammad Khalid, Major Saeed Ahmed, Major M Talha Manan and Naik Mudassar Fayyaz.