It has been a month since the sit-in in Gwadar against illegal fishing and other local issues ended after assurances from the Balochistan government that had claimed to have accepted all demands of Haq Do Tehreek (HDT). But illegal fishing has now resumed in Gwadar, and citizens continue to face humiliation and harassment at check-points.
Haq Do Tehreek (HDT) leader Maulana Hidayat-ur-Rehman said that the provincial government had failed to implement the agreements and demands made by the HDT movement and vowed to resume the sit-in at Dharna Chowk in Gwadar on March 1.
Maulana Hidayat-ur-Rehman addressed a press conference earlier this week. Surrounded by hundreds of supporters, he said that this time the protestors would not negotiate with the chief minister or the chief secretary, but with the prime minister and the army chief.
The original agreement, which was written on December 16, was signed by HDT on the provision that the government would comply with the movement’s demands within a month. However as the HDT leader claimed, the government had ‘failed to implement its promises’ and was ‘not serious about resolving issues.’
At the time, several individuals in the movement criticised the agreement, saying that the 31-day sit-in had been ended on the basis of ‘promises,’ rather than action.
At Sunday’s press conference, Maulana outlined the various ailments still plaguing Balochistan.
He claimed that drug dens were still in operation and alcohol and drugs were being sold in every ward of Gwadar.
Despite Balochistan Chief Minister Mir Abdul Qaddos Bizenjo’s visit to Markan, illegal trawling was still occurring along the coast, said the Maulana, demanding that Fisheries Advisor Balochistan Akbar Askani be dismissed for failing to curb illegal fishing.
The Maulana also said that the CM had announced a package for fishermen, which had not yet been delivered. Vehicles and boats seized in the demands had not been returned to their owners.
He railed that when Gwadar had been declared a disaster area, the district’s administration was content to supply victims with just one kilogram of flour and one kilogram of cooking oil.
He said that the people of Makran were not satisfied with the performance of the Balochistan government.
Further sit-ins have been scheduled across Makran, starting on January 20 and throughout the month of February.