The banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has announced an end to the month-long ceasefire declared on November 8, while accusing the government of failing to uphold its end of the bargain.
The TTP issued a statement on Thursday in which they laid out the details of the original agreement that was reached between the government and the banned group on October 25 this year.
According to the agreement both sides were to nominate five-member committees that would hold discussions under the supervision of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (IEA).
The two sides had also agreed that the government would release 102 TTP prisoners and hand them over to the banned group. The agreement also entailed “that both sides would issue a joint statement regarding the ceasefire on Nov 1, 2021”.
The TTP, in its statement last night, accused the government of having failed to implement the agreement. The statement said that the security forces conducted raids in Dera Ismail Khan, Lakki Marwat, Swat, Bajaur, Swabi, and North Waziristan and killed and detained militants.
“Under these circumstances, it is not possible to extend the ceasefire,” the TTP said.
Earlier, official sources had also confirmed that talks were being held with the outlawed group. According to official sources, the government’s negotiating team included two experienced civil servants who had served in conflict zones.
The government sources also said that the Afghan Taliban had offered Pakistan many options, but the government had preferred the option of holding negotiations with the TTP.
Yesterday, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) reported that 12 prisoners of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) had been freed by the Pakistan authorities as part of ongoing peace negotiation between the government and the banned group.